File(s) not publicly available
Kingston Down Grave 129
online resourceposted on 2021-11-10, 15:31 authored by Helena HamerowHelena Hamerow
Middle-sized tumulus; the grave, full five feet deep, pointing with the feet towards the east. The bones were very perfect: burnt coffin: a very long head of a spear, much like that described at No. 2; it lay on the right side, and on the outside of the coffin. An hemispherical umbo [M 6245] exactly like that described at No. 2; but somewhat less; in its rim were, as usual, four broad and flat-headed iron studs or rivets, by which it was riveted to the shield; also three other broader-headed studs, as at No. 2. A narrow thin brass ferrule about one inch and five-eighths diameter [M 6179]; it has three small brass pins sticking in it at equal distances, whereby it was fastened to some round staff or other piece of wood covered with leather, some of which still adhered to the pins. It was found near the left knee; so could not have belonged to the staff of the hasta, which lay on the right side, and in a position parallel to the sides of the grave. Here was also, an iron buckle with a brass tongue; a small brass buckle and shank [M 6178], and several nails.
Date excavated26th July, 1771
Links to objects