University of Oxford

File(s) not publicly available

E03516: Greek inscription commemorating the construction or restoration of an oratory (eukterion) of an unnamed *Archangel. Found at Miliopo (the Island of Ikaria, the Aegean Islands). Probably 5th-6th c.

online resource
posted on 2017-08-03, 00:00 authored by pnowakowski
+ ἐπὶ τοῦ ἁγιωτάτου ἐπισκώπου ἡμ̣ῶ̣ν Σχωλαστίκου ἐ[- - -]ώθη τὼ εὐκτή-
ριον τοῦ ἀρχανγέλου

1. ἐ[πληρ]ώθη or ἐ[ψηφ]ώθη Deligiannakis, possibly also ἐ[τελει]ώθη

'+ Under our most holy bishop Scholastikos, was [- - -] this oratory (eukterion) of the Archangel.'

Text: Deligiannakis 2015, 267.


Evidence ID


Saint Name

Archangels (unspecified) : S00191 Michael, the Archangel : S00181

Saint Name in Source

ἀρχάνγελος ἀρχάνγελος

Type of Evidence

Inscriptions - Formal inscriptions (stone, mosaic, etc.) Archaeological and architectural - Cult buildings (churches, mausolea)


  • Greek

Evidence not before


Evidence not after


Activity not before


Activity not after


Place of Evidence - Region

Aegean islands and Cyprus Aegean islands and Cyprus

Place of Evidence - City, village, etc

Ikaria Miliopo

Place of evidence - City name in other Language(s)

Ikaria Salamis Σαλαμίς Salamis Salamis Farmagusta Far Κωνσταντία Konstantia Constantia Miliopo Salamis Σαλαμίς Salamis Salamis Farmagusta Far Κωνσταντία Konstantia Constantia

Cult activities - Places

Cult building - independent (church)

Cult activities - Non Liturgical Practices and Customs

Renovation and embellishment of cult buildings

Cult Activities - Protagonists in Cult and Narratives

Ecclesiastics - bishops


The inscription is carved on a panel of the chancel screen of a church at the site 'Taxiarchis' at Miliopo (the Island of Ikaria). First published by Georgios Deligiannakis in 2015, after photographs and a squeeze. The site had been surveyed by Dimitrios Lazaridis and described in his paper in Αρχαιλογικόν Δελτίον in 1968, but he did not edit the inscription. The inscription was mentioned by Ioannes Melas in 1958, and Themistokles Katsaros in 2006. It was omitted in the volume of the Inscriptiones Graecae (XII 6,2), covering the island of Ikaria. According to Lazaridis, the church was originally a three-aisled basilica, which after a destruction was restored as a smaller, one-aisled sanctuary. Lazaridis dated its construction to the 5th c.


The inscription refers to the construction or a restoration of the church. According to Deligiannakis, our text seems to be later than another carved inscription from the same church, which does not use set formulae characteristic of developed Christian epigraphy, so the latter option is more plausible. Bishop Scholastikos is not otherwise attested. Deligiannakis stresses the importance of this attestation, as, depending on the precise date of the inscription, this may be the first mention of a bishopric on Ikaria. As for the patron saint, an unnamed Archangel, Deligiannakis suggests that this could have been Michael who is often the patron of churches in Anatolia. Deligiannakis points out that, on the Ionian coast, the cult of Archangels was particularly strong at Miletos. Dating: based on the shape of letters and the archaeological context, Deligiannakis dates the inscription to the 5th or 6th c.


Edition: Deligiannakis, G., "Εκχριστιανίζοντας τις νησιωτικές κοινότητες του ανατολικού Αιγαίου. Η περίπτωση της νήσου Ικαρίας [Christianizing island communities in the Eastern Aegean. The case of Ikaria]", Δελτίον της Χριστιανικής Αρχαιολογικής Εταιρείας 36 (2015), 263-274. Further reading: Katsaros, Th., Ικαριακά Σύμμεικτα (Athens: , 2006), 184-186 and Fig. 204-209. Melas, I., Ἱστορία τῆς νήσου Ἰκαρίας, vol. 2 (Athens: J. Melas, 1958), 251, 255. Reference works: Bulletin épigraphique (2016), 560.

Usage metrics

    Evidence -  The Cult of Saints in Late Antiquity



    Ref. manager