University of Oxford
Browse
E02871.jpg (46.25 kB)

E02871: Large marble block with a Greek inscription labelling it as a 'weight of (a church) of *Mary (Mother of Christ, S00033). Found at Caesarea Maritima (Roman province of Palaestina I). Probably late antique.

Download (46.25 kB)
online resource
posted on 2017-06-01, 00:00 authored by pnowakowski
Greyish marble block with blue veins. H. 0.28 m; W. 0.45; Th. 0.21-0.23 m. Weight: c. 70 kg. Broken at the right-hand end and bottom. The front face bears a Greek inscription in fine carving, letter height c. 0.036-0.047 m. The back face was probably covered by plaster. Now in the Kibbutz Sdot Yam Museum.

First published by K. Kleopas in 1920, who, however, misread line 2. The stone caught the attention of Kenneth Holum in the 1980s. Holum took a new photograph and discussed the object, first himself and then with Clayton Lehmann. In March 2010 the stone was revisited by Walter Ameling who offered a new edition in the Corpus Inscriptionum Iudaeae Palaestinae.

Inscription:

+ τάλαντον
τῆς ἁγίας Μαρίας

2. ὁσίας Μαρίας Kleopas

'+ The weight of the Holy Mary.'

Text: CIIP 2, no. 1751.

History

Evidence ID

E02871

Saint Name

Mary, Mother of Christ : S00033

Saint Name in Source

Μαρία

Image Caption 1

From: CIIP 2, 636.

Type of Evidence

Inscriptions - Inscribed objects Images and objects - Other portable objects (metalwork, ivory, etc.)

Language

  • Greek

Evidence not before

400

Evidence not after

650

Activity not before

400

Activity not after

650

Place of Evidence - Region

Palestine with Sinai Palestine with Sinai

Place of Evidence - City, village, etc

Caesarea Maritima Jerusalem

Place of evidence - City name in other Language(s)

Caesarea Maritima Caesarea Maritima Καισάρεια Kaisareia Caesarea Kayseri Turris Stratonis Jerusalem Caesarea Maritima Καισάρεια Kaisareia Caesarea Kayseri Turris Stratonis

Cult activities - Places

Cult building - independent (church)

Discussion

The editors interpret the stone as a weight that was used in a church dedicated to Mary. The church was presumably sited in Caesarea Maritima. The editors note that, although stone weights were commonly in use in antiquity, they are unaware of one this large (our block weighs c. 70 kg); it is indeed hard to imagine how such a massive weight could have been used. For a bronze balance-scale of a church of *Sergios, found at Daphne near Antioch-on-the-Orontes, see E01821, and for a large balance scale inscribed with invocations of Christ or the God of Saint *George, found at Dor (Tanturah) bay north of Caesarea, see Corpus Inscriptionum Iudaeae/Palaestinae 2, no. 2143 (our E03496).

Bibliography

Edition: Ameling, W., Cotton, H.M., Eck, W., and others, Corpus inscriptionum Iudaeae/Palaestinae: A Multi-Lingual Corpus of the Inscriptions from Alexander to Muhammad, vol. 2: Caesarea and the Middle Coast 1121-2160 (Berlin, Boston: De Gruyter, 2011), no. 1751 (with further bibliography). Lehmann, C.M., and Holum, K.G., The Greek and Latin Inscriptions of Caesarea Maritima (The Joint Expedition to Caesarea Maritima Excavation Reports 5; Boston, Mass.: The American Schools of Oriental Research, 2000), no. 114. McLean, B., "", The Ancient World 30 (1999), 3-28 no. 195. Holum, K., "", in: R. Curtis (ed.), Studia Pompeiana & classica in honor of Wilhelmina F. Jashemski, vol. 2 (New Rochelle, N.Y : A.D. Caratzas 1989), 99-100. N.D.L.R., "Bulletin: Palestine", La Revue biblique 29 (1920), 316. Kleopas, K., "", Nea Sion 15 (1920), 145, no. 6. Reference works: Bulletin épigraphique (2002), 470. Chroniques d'épigraphie byzantine, 714. Supplementum Epigraphicum Graecum 61, 1423.

Usage metrics

    Evidence -  The Cult of Saints in Late Antiquity

    Licence

    Exports

    RefWorks
    BibTeX
    Ref. manager
    Endnote
    DataCite
    NLM
    DC