University of Oxford
Browse

File(s) not publicly available

E01955: Greek graffito with an invocation of *Mary (Mother of Christ, S00033). Found in the temple of Bel at Palmyra (east Syria/northeast Phoenicia Libanensis). Probably 6th-7th c.

online resource
posted on 2016-10-21, 00:00 authored by pnowakowski
[Χ]ερε, κεχαρητωμένη ἁγήα Θεωτώκε.
Λάζαρος Θ(ε)οῦ δοῦλος ἐποίει.

'Hail, full of grace, holy God-Bearer (Theotokos)! Lazaros, servant of God, did (this).'

Text: IGLS 17/1, no. 47.

History

Evidence ID

E01955

Saint Name

Mary, Mother of Christ : S00033

Saint Name in Source

ἁγήα Θεωτώκος

Type of Evidence

Inscriptions - Graffiti Images and objects - Narrative scenes Images and objects - Wall paintings and mosaics

Language

  • Greek

Evidence not before

500

Evidence not after

750

Activity not before

500

Activity not after

750

Place of Evidence - Region

Syria with Phoenicia

Place of Evidence - City, village, etc

Palmyra

Place of evidence - City name in other Language(s)

Palmyra Thabbora Thabbora

Cult activities - Non Liturgical Practices and Customs

Prayer/supplication/invocation

Cult activities - Use of Images

  • Public display of an image

Cult Activities - Protagonists in Cult and Narratives

Merchants and artisans

Source

Graffito incised (possibly with the use of a hammer) on the east wall in the cella of the temple of Bel. Dimensions of the inscribed field: H. 0.16 m; W. 1.12 m. Letter height c. 0.09 m. First published with a transcription and a facsimile by Jean Cantineau in 1933, later revisited by a number of scholars (see Bibliography).

Discussion

To the best of our knowledge this is the only published inscription, from the large number of inscriptions known from the city of Palmyra, that mentions a saint (for a reference to 'holy angles', which are, however, entities beyond the scope of our project, see: IGLS 17/1, no. 502). The same wall, until its recent destruction, bore faint traces of a painting, probably showing a saint and a fragmentary inscription in red paint: [- - -] βοήθει [- - -]/'[- - -] help [- - -]' (IGLS 17/1, no. 48). It is very possible that the temple was converted to a church, possibly dedicated to Mary. Line 1 of our text is actually a quotation of the greeting of Gabriel the Archangel, as reported in the Gospel of Luke (1,28). Line 2 contains the name of the author of this inscription, Lazaros. He is introduced as the maker of an unspecified object: possibly the inscription itself, the painting on the wall of the cella, or indeed something else. Dating: This kind of invocation with the 'servant-of-a saint' formula is usually dated to the 6th or 7th c.

Bibliography

Edition: Yon, J.-B., Inscriptions grecques et latines de la Syrie, vol. 17/1: Palmyre (BAH 195, Beyrouth: Presses de l'IFPO, 2012), no. 47. Westphalen, S., "Die byzantinische Malereien im Beltempel und der Kirchenbau Palmyras: ein Resümée" in: Strube, Chr., Eichner, I., Tsamakda, V. (eds.), Syrien und seine Nachbarn von der Spätantike bis in die islamische Zeit (Wiesbaden: Reichert, 2009), 157, note 21 and Tafel 43, fig. 3. Yon, J.-B., As'ad, K., Inscriptions de Palmyre: promenades épigraphiques dans la ville antique de Palmyre (Guides archéologiques de l'Institut français d'archéologie du Proche-Orient 3, Beyrouth: Direction générale des antiquités et des musées de la République arabe syrienne, Institut français d'archéologie du Proche-Orient [Paris], 2001), no. 29. Kowalski, S.P., "Late Roman Palmyra in literature and epigraphy", Studia Palmyreńskie 10 (1997), 57, no. 14. Cantineau, J., Inventaire des inscriptions de Palmyre, vol. 9 (Publications du Musée national de Damas 1, 1933), 49, no. 38. Reference works: Supplementum Epigraphicum Graecum 47, 1958.

Usage metrics

    Evidence -  The Cult of Saints in Late Antiquity

    Licence

    Exports

    RefWorks
    BibTeX
    Ref. manager
    Endnote
    DataCite
    NLM
    DC