University of Oxford
Browse

File(s) not publicly available

E01792: Greek inscription invoking the help of *Mary (Mother of Christ, S00033). Found at Mektebeh, to the southeast of Chalkis and Beroia/Aleppo (north Syria). Probably late antique.

online resource
posted on 2016-08-08, 00:00 authored by pnowakowski
+ ἁγι Μαρία βοέθι Δομετις

'+ O holy Mary, help Dometios!'

Text: IGLS 2, no. 339.

History

Evidence ID

E01792

Saint Name

Mary, Mother of Christ : S00033

Saint Name in Source

Μαρία

Type of Evidence

Inscriptions - Formal inscriptions (stone, mosaic, etc.) Inscriptions - Inscribed architectural elements

Language

  • Greek

Evidence not before

450

Evidence not after

750

Activity not before

450

Activity not after

750

Place of Evidence - Region

Syria with Phoenicia Syria with Phoenicia Syria with Phoenicia

Place of Evidence - City, village, etc

Beroia Chalkis Mektebeh

Place of evidence - City name in other Language(s)

Beroia Thabbora Thabbora Chalkis Thabbora Thabbora Mektebeh Thabbora Thabbora

Cult activities - Places

Cult building - dependent (chapel, baptistery, etc.)

Cult activities - Non Liturgical Practices and Customs

Prayer/supplication/invocation

Cult Activities - Protagonists in Cult and Narratives

Other lay individuals/ people

Source

A moulded corner block. H. 0.39 m; side A: W. 0,60 m; side B: W. 0.69 m. Found at Mektebeh, near a block with the Trisagion prayer. When recorded, the stone was partially buried. The inscription is in low-relief; above, a band decorated with carvings of vines; below, mouldings. Letter height 0.08-0.09 m. First published in 1908 by William Prentice, from his own copy. Republished in 1939 by Rene Mouterde and Louis Jalabert. There is no published image.

Discussion

William Prentice identified the block as the cap of a pier from the apse-arch of a church. If so, this might be a part of a building inscription with a prayer of the founder of this apse/chapel. For another invocation of Mary from Mektebeh, see: E01793. The character of these inscriptions (fine architectural elements) suggests that a church dedicated to Mary was constructed here. The inscription contains a very common invocation of Mary. Prentice suggested that the name of the supplicant was a form of the name Dometios (Δομέτιος) or Domitios (Δομίτιος), possibly created under the influence of the Syriac language, and thus indeclinable and accented Δομετίς. He hypothesised that this might also be the case of the epithet 'holy', here spelt ἁγι instead of ἁγία. Dating: this kind of invocation, with the formula βοήθει/'help' is usually dated to the late 5th or 6th/7th c.

Bibliography

Edition: Mouterde, R., Jalabert, L., Inscriptions grecques et latines de la Syrie, vol. 2: Chalcidique et Antiochène: nos 257-698 (Paris: P. Geuthner, 1939), no. 339. Prentice, W.K. (ed.), Greek and Latin inscriptions (Publications of an American archaeological expedition to Syria in 1899-1900 3, New York: Century 1908), 248, no. 313.

Usage metrics

    Evidence -  The Cult of Saints in Late Antiquity

    Licence

    Exports

    RefWorks
    BibTeX
    Ref. manager
    Endnote
    DataCite
    NLM
    DC