University of Oxford
Browse
76a13b7623e931fa04d7bdfe647c811951020c40.jpg (1.03 MB)

53812: Chemical Warfare in the Twentieth Century

Download (1.03 MB)
online resource
posted on 2024-05-09, 12:57 authored by First World War Poetry Digital Archive Project Team

The First World War: A gas sentry ringing an alarm at Fleurbaix, 15 miles south of Ypres. Gas was first used on the Western Front by the Germans during the Second Battle of Ypres in April 1915. Chlorine was the first gas to be employed , followed by phosgene in December of that year. Various warning bells were used in the trenches, bells, rattles, empty shell cases among them. The soldier in the photograph is wearing the P helmet which was used from November 1915 until the end of 1916. The P helmet replaced the earlier and similarly shaped 'Hypo' helmet, and was impregnated with hyposulphite of soda and phenate so as to protect the wearer from both chlorine and phosgene gas. The P helmet had glass eyepieces and a mouthpiece outlet valve.

History

Identifier

3653.jpg | CXTIWMPHOq669.jpg

Subject

Gas Warfare | War | Western Front

Creator

Brooks, Ernest

Date

Jun-16

Date Created

01/06/1916

Temporal Date

03/06/1916

Spatial

Near Fleurbaix, France

Source

Photograph

Medium

Photographic paper

Type

Photograph

Contributor

Jennifer Dunn

Rights

The Imperial War Museum

Collection ID

Q 669

Repository Name

Imperial War Museum Photographic Archive

Repository Address

Imperial War Museum, Lambeth Road, London, SE1 6HZ, UK

Publisher

The First World War Poetry Digital Archive