University of Oxford
Browse
1/1
5 files

St Mary the Virgin, Ebberston, North Yorkshire

Version 2 2022-12-14, 12:43
Version 1 2022-12-09, 18:02
educational resource
posted on 2022-12-14, 12:43 authored by Woruldhord Project Team

The church at Ebberston had its origins in the Late Saxon period in the eleventh century. The first church probably comprised an aisleless nave and a chancel. Most of the present church was built in the twelfth and thirteenth centuries. It is thought that the font dates to the eleventh century, and that the south door is late Saxon and probably contemporary with the first church. The ironwork on the door also features a dove carrying an olive branch in the upper right of the door. The door, if it is indeed late Saxon, should be compared with the church door of St Helen's Church in Stillingfleet in the East Riding of Yorkshire, where a tenth or eleventh-century door exhibits similar iron working styles.

History

Date Created

18/09/2010

Date

Late Saxon, Norman, 12th, 13th, 14th, 16th, 17th, 18th, 19th centuries

Temporal Coverage

1000-1900

Creator

Kelly A. Kilpatirck

Source

Contributor's own images

Language

English

Usage metrics

    Woruldhord

    Exports

    RefWorks
    BibTeX
    Ref. manager
    Endnote
    DataCite
    NLM
    DC