University of Oxford
Browse
e4e390f7e2ecec90160cef17846bc390adc34d03.jpg (819.28 kB)

Footings of Wulfric's Rotunda, St Augustine's Abbey, Canterbury

Download (819.28 kB)
Version 2 2022-12-14, 12:43
Version 1 2022-12-09, 18:02
educational resource
posted on 2022-12-14, 12:43 authored by Woruldhord Project Team

In about 1050 Wulfric, abbot of St Augustine's Abbey, decided to join the two early churches of SS Peter & Paul (the first on the site) and St Mary (built directly behind it on the same alignment), to create a single large church. To do this he demolished the east wall of SS Peter & Paul and the west end of St Mary, and bridged the gap with a rotunda, a feature not seen in English churches before. Unfortunately he died before it could be completed and his successor abandoned the project, leaving only these below-ground foundations as evidence.

History

Date Created

30/08/2010

Date

c.1050

Temporal Coverage

1000-1100

Creator

Jonathan Dore

Source

Contributor's own image

Usage metrics

    Woruldhord

    Exports

    RefWorks
    BibTeX
    Ref. manager
    Endnote
    DataCite
    NLM
    DC