University of Oxford
Browse
91910d84331443c490ed0d6650bd00466a0643ca.jpg (385.67 kB)

Broken Anglo-Saxon iron objects

Download (385.67 kB)
Version 2 2022-12-14, 12:39
Version 1 2022-12-09, 17:15
educational resource
posted on 2022-12-14, 12:39 authored by Woruldhord Project Team

M/1992/21 Collection of broken pieces of Saxon iron, all too small and badly decayed to show what the original objects looked like although they probably included knives, spear heads and shield bosses. These are some of the Saxon objects found by workmen when they were building Edridge Road in Croydon, between February 1893 and September 1894. Some of the objects were given to the old Grangewood Museum in Croydon and are now looked after by Croydon Museum Service. The rest were given to the British Museum.Between 1600 and 1300 years ago, Edridge Road was the site of a Saxon cemetery. These objects were buried there with their owners so that they could be used in the afterlife. Noticed a mistake? Have some extra information about this object? Please contact us museum@croydon.gov.uk

History

Date Created

10/08/2010

Date

5th-6th century

Temporal Coverage

400-600

Creator

Croydon Museum Service

Source

Museum of Croydon

Language

English

Usage metrics

    Woruldhord

    Exports

    RefWorks
    BibTeX
    Ref. manager
    Endnote
    DataCite
    NLM
    DC