University of Oxford
Browse
8a79c0d8682a1aae506c3530b6bfe1f62f60bf68.jpg (3.78 kB)

Anglo-Saxon whetstone

Download (3.78 kB)
Version 2 2022-12-14, 12:45
Version 1 2022-12-09, 18:03
educational resource
posted on 2022-12-14, 12:45 authored by Woruldhord Project Team

M/1992/23. Small rectangular Anglo-Saxon whetstone with a hole drilled through it at one end, so that it could be hung round the neck or from a belt. This is one of several Anglo-Saxon objects found by workmen when they were building Edridge Road in Croydon, between February 1893 and September 1894. Some of the objects were given to the old Grangewood Museum in Croydon and are now looked after by Croydon Museum Service. The rest were given to the British Museum. Between 1600 and 1300 years ago, Edridge Road was the site of an Anglo-Saxon cemetery. This whetstone was buried there with its owner, who was also buried with an axe (Museum reference number M/1992/22). The whetstone was probably included so that the axe could be kept sharp for use in the afterlife. Noticed a mistake? Have some extra information about this object? Please contact us museum@croydon.gov.uk

History

Date Created

01/09/2010

Date

400-600

Temporal Coverage

400-600

Creator

Croydon Museum and Heritage Service

Source

Croydon Museum Service

Language

English

Usage metrics

    Woruldhord

    Exports

    RefWorks
    BibTeX
    Ref. manager
    Endnote
    DataCite
    NLM
    DC