University of Oxford
Browse
b45918832a83667731f9d2b730c3fff671cff318.jpg (1.95 MB)

Anglo-Saxon cremation urn

Download (1.95 MB)
Version 2 2022-12-14, 12:45
Version 1 2022-12-09, 18:03
educational resource
posted on 2022-12-14, 12:45 authored by Woruldhord Project Team

M/1992/4. This pot was found by workmen when they were building Edridge Road between February 1893 and September 1894. Some of the objects from the site were given to the old Grangewood Museum in Croydon and are now being looked after by Croydon Museum Service. The rest were given to the British Museum. Edridge Road was the site of a Saxon cemetery. This pot was buried there between 1600 and 1300 years ago and held the remains of a cremated body (Museum reference number M/1992/44) and a tiny pair of iron shears (M/1992/14). Noticed a mistake? Have some extra information about this object? Please contact us museum@croydon.gov.uk

History

Date Created

01/09/2010

Date

400-600

Temporal Coverage

400-600

Creator

Croydon Museum and Heritage Service

Source

Croydon Museum Service

Language

English

Usage metrics

    Woruldhord

    Exports

    RefWorks
    BibTeX
    Ref. manager
    Endnote
    DataCite
    NLM
    DC