University of Oxford
Browse
53d35b4cf8ee03157f42cbb25671bc18301f84b4.jpg (3.49 MB)

Anglo-Saxon cremation, Skull and axial skeleton

Download (3.49 MB)
Version 2 2022-12-14, 12:41
Version 1 2022-12-09, 18:01
educational resource
posted on 2022-12-14, 12:41 authored by Woruldhord Project Team

M/1992/43/3. This burnt human bone is part of a collection of several Anglo-Saxon objects which were found by workmen when they were building Edridge Road in Croydon, between February 1893 and September 1894. Some of the objects were given to the old Grangewood Museum in Croydon and are now looked after by Croydon Museum Service. The rest were given to the British Museum. These human remains were found inside a cremation urn (Museum reference number M/1992/1). They were buried between 1600 and 1300 years ago, when Edridge Road was the site of an Anglo-Saxon cemetery. Noticed a mistake? Have some extra information about this object? Please contact us museum@croydon.gov.uk

History

Date Created

11/08/2010

Temporal Coverage

400-700

Creator

Croydon Museum Service

Source

Croydon Museum Service

Language

English

Usage metrics

    Woruldhord

    Exports

    RefWorks
    BibTeX
    Ref. manager
    Endnote
    DataCite
    NLM
    DC