University of Oxford
Browse
1eff77b5c3583a7a1826fcad21b89bd0f4b3328a.jpg (290.62 kB)

Anglo-Saxon axe head

Download (290.62 kB)
Version 2 2022-12-14, 12:40
Version 1 2022-12-09, 18:01
educational resource
posted on 2022-12-14, 12:40 authored by Woruldhord Project Team

M/1992/22 Anglo-Saxon iron axe blade with a socket for a wooden handle. This type of axe, with the cutting edge of its blade pointing up rather than straight ahead, is thought to have been thrown at enemies in battle, rather than used as a tool. This axe is one of several Anglo-Saxon objects found by workmen when they were building Edridge Road in Croydon, between February 1893 and September 1894. Some of the objects were given to the old Grangewood Museum in Croydon and are now looked after by Croydon Museum Service. The rest were given to the British Museum. Between 1600 and 1300 years ago, Edridge Road was the site of an Anglo-Saxon cemetery. This axe was buried there with its owner for and was found with a whetstone (Museum reference number M/1992/23) which could have been used to sharpen the axe. Noticed a mistake? Have some extra information about this object? Please contact us museum@croydon.gov.uk

History

Date Created

10/08/2010

Date

5th-6th century

Temporal Coverage

400-600

Creator

Croydon Museum Service

Source

Museum of Croydon

Language

English

Usage metrics

    Woruldhord

    Exports

    RefWorks
    BibTeX
    Ref. manager
    Endnote
    DataCite
    NLM
    DC