University of Oxford
Browse
d707e805707fe24dd9bb72a689548c527c2c0ca8.jpg (2.26 MB)

Anglo-Saxon Glass beaker

Download (2.26 MB)
Version 2 2022-12-14, 12:41
Version 1 2022-12-09, 18:01
educational resource
posted on 2022-12-14, 12:41 authored by Woruldhord Project Team

M/1992/5. Glass beaker, probably imported from France in the 5th century. It is decorated with glass thread, wound round and round the beaker below the rim. It is one of several Anglo-Saxon objects found by workmen when they were building Edridge Road between February 1893 and September 1894. Some of the objects were given to the old Grangewood Museum in Croydon and are now being looked after by Croydon Museum Service. The rest were given to the British Museum. Between 1600 and 1300 years ago, Edridge Road was the site of a Anglo-Saxon cemetery. Noticed a mistake? Have some extra information about this object? Please contact us museum@croydon.gov.uk

History

Date Created

11/08/2010

Temporal Coverage

400-500

Creator

Croydon Museum Service

Source

Croydon Museum Service

Language

English

Usage metrics

    Woruldhord

    Exports

    RefWorks
    BibTeX
    Ref. manager
    Endnote
    DataCite
    NLM
    DC